Find your next opportunity.
Senior System Protection Technician (Gen)
4600 12TH STREET EXTENSION West Columbia, SC 29172 US
Our client is actively seeking a talented Senior System Protection Technician located in West Columbia, SC. This is a 12-month contract opportunity.
This position is an onsite opportunity.
This role performs maintenance, installation commissioning, corrective and cyber security activities on system protection devices, control circuits, metering, data communication, and carrier blocking equipment within Transmission, Distribution and Generating network.
This position ensures that appropriate compliance maintenance activities, applications, policies, and associated documentation are managed and maintained in support of Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) and Protective Relay and Control (PRC) programs.
This position aids in the development of new technicians through on the job training. Maintains substation control print files, relay test records, test procedures, methods, and service advisories.
- Maintenance activities include routine calibration and functional testing of electro-mechanical and microprocessor relay protection and power line carrier blocking protection applications. This position is required to perform periodic compliance reviews, equipment vulnerability assessments, and the testing and implementation of security patches for ETFO System Protection equipment. These maintenance activities require a comprehensive knowledge of the protective relay schemes and associated data communication equipment interfaces necessary to provide Operating Centers with critical station Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) telemetry over a variety of protocols, using mediums such as Serial, TCP/IP and/or Fiber Optics. These activities ensure that substation protection, auxiliaries, and primary equipment continue to operate in accordance with Dominion Engineering design.
- Installation commissioning activities include the review of engineering designs for protective relay and control applications drawings, logic diagrams, protection set points, and SCADA data communication interfaces.
- Assists Lead/Senior technicians in the coordination of commissioning activities and functional testing of primary and secondary equipment to ensure installation per Dominion and/or its manufacturer's design.
- Assists Lead/Senior technicians in developing in-service verification and final commissioning procedures. These procedures establish, with System Control, the energizing sequence of new field equipment required to perform final commissioning checks.
- Corrective activities require utilizing the existing alarm network to: assist in analyzing alarms, identify potential problems, assist Lead/Senior technicians in corrective action activities, and extract information necessary to develop a safe and effective corrective action investigation for moderately complex protection and control applications
- 5+ years of related experience
- Associate degree in Electrical/Electromechanical/Electronics Engineering Technology.
- Direct job experience in testing, calibrating, setting, etc digital and electromechanical protective relays and power line carrier equipment. Preferable experience with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) relays.
- Ability to read electrical drawings in order to commission and troubleshoot complex control circuits in substations and power plants.
- Knowledge of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems, RTUs (remote terminal units), and DNP (Distributed Network Protocol) communications. Experience with SEL RTACs (Real Time Automation Controllers) would be welcomed.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written. Effective and concise communication is critical in this group.
- Many times relay techs are de facto project managers in the field, and must be able to communicate with many different work groups to ensure things like fiber optics, relay settings, RTU configurations, etc. are ready when needed.
- Willingness to be a team player.
- Ability to terminate fiber optic cables
- Ability to program SEL RTACs using AcSELerator RTAC software
Job Requisition # 38032
A reasonable estimate of the pay range for this role is $42.69 - $47.69 per hour.
The disclosed pay range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. The compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case, such as skills and experience levels.
Company – Staffing – 501 – 1000 employees
APC believes that the workplace should be fun and enjoyable. Join our team today and ignite your career!
APC is a professional services organization focused on engaging people and positively impacting lives. As professionals serving professionals, we take pride in providing our employees with the highest level of customer service and support, creating meaningful, fulfilling and rewarding experiences every day.
APC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status.