Find your next opportunity.
Substation Supervising Engineer (Civil/Structural)
8401 Greenway Blvd. Suite 400 Madison, WI 53562 US
Our client is actively seeking a talented Substation Supervising Engineer (Civil/Structural) located in either San Antonio, TX or Madison, WI. This is a full-time, permanent opportunity with our client.
Job Overview: #LI-KL1
Our client is seeking a Substation Supervising Engineer - Civil/Structural to join our team. The Substation Supervising Engineer serves as a team lead on electric substation design projects for high-voltage utility systems and renewable energy interconnection projects. He/she will have strong knowledge of NESC, NEC, and other applicable codes and standards in engineering design as well as a strong understanding of civil structural design to provide direction to the team in which he/she is supervising. He/she will also work with internal and external project stakeholders to ensure project milestones and expectations of contracted services are met. Our client has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Leads all aspects of design for high voltage (4kV – 230kV) and EHV (above 230kV) substation projects to include:
- Development of
- Steel Structure Designs and Fabrication Drawings
- Concrete Foundation Designs and Detail Drawings
- Oil Containment Designs and Detail Drawings
- Metal Grate Platforms Designs and Detail Drawings
- Fire Wall Designs and Detail Drawings
- Structural Analysis
- Documentation for Design Calculations
- Foundation Layout Plans
- Associated Bill of Materials
- Assistance with
- General Arrangement Development
- Cable Trough and Conduit Plans and Details
- Grounding Plans and Details
- Site Plan Development
- Erosion and Sediment Control Review
- Stormwater Management Review
- Construction Documentation (Sequence and RFP)
- Technical Support
- Bus Fault Stress Analysis
- Active Coordination
- Ability to coordinate team efforts to develop the above listed drawings.
- Ability to coordinate efforts with other various external and internal project team members, with familiarity in identifying when coordination is needed with certain design disciplines such as transmission line engineers, distribution line engineers, civil engineers, geotechnical engineers, and surveyors.
- Other Expectations
- Leverages experience by mentoring and training members of the team.
- Keenly focused on production of high-quality work and supports continuous improvement efforts.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects.
- Serves as the responsible project charge for the team, coordinating resources and project flow.
- Acts as QA/QC lead for project work and assignments.
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers and may determine the key clients in some instances.
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work.
- Serves as a technical specialist for substation design and has knowledge and skillset to provide consultation and guidance.
- Remove any impediments that are obstructing the team from achieving its goals.
- Works to advise Management about how to maximize ROI for the team.
- Attending all client technical review meetings.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from a recognized accredited program.
- Minimum of 8 years related work experience in the field of high voltage substation design – Civil/Structural.
- Professional engineer license or ability to obtain one within 2 years of hire.
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD or Bentley Microstation.
- Proficient in 3D Modeling (AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microstation V8i)
- Proficient in use of PLSCAD, LPILE, STAAD, or similar programs
- Good knowledge of the industry and technology trends specific to substations.
- Strong familiarity with the National Electrical Safety Code
- Meet minimum qualifications.
- Knowledge of construction practices and constructability
- Experience with proposal writing and project estimating.
- Working knowledge of scheduling and project controls processes.
- Previous project team leadership
- Previous experience as a direct supervisor
- Superior Verbal & Written Communications
- Driven for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity,
- Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.
Job Requisition # 37734
A reasonable estimate of the pay range for this role is $100,000 - $125,000 per year.
The disclosed pay range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. The compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case, such as skills and experience levels.